Sunday 25 January 2015

Day 17 - Saturday 24th January 2015 - at sea

Day 17 - Saturday 24th January 2015 - at sea

We started the day by walking our mile and then I did stretch class while JL went on some of the gym machines. We had breakfast (where I was accosted by an elderly gentleman asking first if I was one of the dancers, then telling me I looked far too young to be married, and finally that he thought I must have discovered the secret of eternal life!!!) and then I went to line dancing. Today we learnt a dance called Rio (to commemorate yesterday's visit!) and were given notes for the dance to take away as homework! I think I have just about learned it now...

JL went to see one of his new favourite speakers, this time talking about the Krays. I decided to go to one of the talks this morning - a lady called Nikki Chapman (who is apparently on TV?!) - she was talking about her early career as a band promoter, working with Take That, The Spice Girls, and Phil Collins among others. It was quite interesting but would probably have meant more to me if I had any idea who she was (as most of the theatre seemed to!).

We had lunch and then JL went to another talk, about preparing for shooting parties at Sandringham, followed by a film (Divergent). Meanwhile I had a nap, and read my book on the balcony. The pool was still closed but the weather and sea were definitely getting calmer, thank goodness!

I made it to the afternoon abs class which was good fun, then we went for an early dinner as we had a busy evening ahead. At 7.15 was a concert by the new classical musician - this time a guitarist called Ben Kearsley. He played a range of music, including pieces by Bach, the Beatles, and Albeniz. It was wonderful and made me even more keen to relearn to play my guitar when I'm back in England!

The second show was the Headliners theatre group doing a show called We'll Meet Again, which as you can probably guess from the title was full of wartime and nostalgic songs, finishing with a bit of flag waving to Land of Hope and Glory - JL quietly grumbled to himself.

We then made our way to our THIRD show of the evening, which was the Paraguayan harpist Francisco Yglesia performing a longer show. He is quite a character and had everyone singing along (whether they wanted to or not!) to songs such as Guatanamera and O Sole Mio. 

At the end of all this I was exhausted so quickly got together our things for Montevideo tomorrow then collapsed in bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment