Wednesday 14 January 2015

Day 6 - Tuesday 13th January 2015 - At sea

Day 6 - Tuesday 13th January 2015 - At sea

This morning someone refused to get out of bed for stretch class, so I did a bit of cycling at the gym and then did the stretches without him! On the way back to the room I saw they were doing free massage tasters, so of course I had one - lovely! Will be on the lookout for special offers at the spa later in the cruise!

We had breakfast together, then I went line dancing while JL went to listen to his sixties speaker, this time talking about England winning the World Cup. We then met in the theatre for the next talk by Sue Holderness (Marlene!), which this time was an educational talk about how sailors first learnt to measure their position at sea. Did you know that the watch that Del Boy and Rodney find in their garage which they sell to finally become millionaires is a real (fabled) watch? We learnt the story of the man who designed the first clock which would also measure position at sea, and the trials and tribulations he went through before finally winning a prize at age 88 for having being the first person to invent this. The watch in Only Fools and Horses was his 6th model (the first few being a lot larger, and on display at the maritime museum in Greenwich). It was a fascinating talk. Afterwards Jean-Louis joined the queue to have his photo taken with her :-)

After lunch/ Internet/ reading, we went to a workshop by the magician we saw last night where he showed us how to do some simple tricks (but we had to take the magician's secret oath so we can't share I'm afraid!) It was very cool.

Jean-Louis then went off to table tennis (where he got to the semi final, but found it a bit tricky as the balls were flying everywhere in the sea breeze!). I went to try a new class - tap dancing! This is obviously a popular cruise thing, as many passengers had brought their own tap shoes with them! I tried doing it in my trainers which was not a great success, as my feet did not want to 'shuffle', they wanted to stick to the floor! But I had good fun anyway! Apparently there are only about 6 different steps to learn in tap, and we did 3 yesterday so I'll be an expert in no time!

At 5.00 I headed back to the gym for a Fab Abs class (which I can definitely feel today!), and then got ready for the evening's formal dinner. After eating (where I was presented with FOUR Quorn burgers - they are obviously trying to make up for not giving me any for the first few days!), I rushed JL off to have a formal photo done (much to his disgust!). We had 5 taken in different locations, so hopefully there will at least one good one! 

We then went to the main show, which was the Headliners theatre group doing a dance extravaganza - this features "traditional" dances from different countries, including a carnival dance, Irish dancing, tango, jiving, and the cancan! It was great fun :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment