Thursday 29 January 2015

Day 21 - Wednesday 28th January 2015 - at sea

Day 21 - Wednesday 28th January 2015 - at sea

Today we got up early as I planned to go running round the top deck now that the weather was cooling down a bit. I got myself all ready, we walked up there... and found the top deck was closed because it was too windy! Not amused! Instead JL went down to his favourite promenade deck, and I went to run on one of the machines in the gym until stretch class.

We had breakfast then I went line dancing (great fun in the rather wobbly ship!), and JL went to his ex-policeman speaker talking about the biggest robbery in UK history (the Heathrow gold bullion robbery). [JL:  it turns out this ex-copper (Ian Brown) is no ordinary copper.  After his talk on the great train robbery he moved on to the Kray brothers (he had a part in their capture) then to the Sweeney (he was a member of the squad) and the Heathrow gold bullion.  His boss told him: "find the gold" and he did.  An amazing story with a fair amount of luck.  His other task was to find MrX (Kenneth Noye) and he did that too.  He has four more talks, the last two on Noye and the infamous M25 road rage incident.]

After lunch it was laundry time, which I was dreading as we'd been told the laundry rooms would be closed for the next 4 days while we transit the Chilean fjords. Sure enough, the first laundry room was full, but luckily I found a free machine in the second one I tried, and within a couple of hours all was sorted. 

In the afternoon we went to the cinema together to see the film Captain Philips, a true story about a container ship which gets attacked by Somali pirates and the captain taken hostage. On our cruise in 2011 heading for the Red Sea we had to do a pirate drill, which we all laughed at at the time, but having seen this film I can see why even such large ships need to be prepared.

After the film I did a bit of exercise and was just finishing when an announcement came on the tannoy saying that a group of whales had been spotted ahead! I grabbed my camera and ran as fast as I could to the Crows Nest at the front of the ship where a group of people had already assembled. Sure enough, we saw maybe 10 different whales in small groups, blowing water out of their blowholes and flicking their tails in the air. It was magical :-)

Back in the cabin JL spotted another few whales from our balcony! I eventually dragged myself away to go to the restaurant for formal night, and another Marco Pierre White menu for JL (more lobster!). We went to the theatre at 8.30 to see the duo of violinists Elektra again, who played a different selection of classical and more modern pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment