Saturday 17 January 2015

Day 9 - Friday 16th January 2015 - At sea

Day 9 - Friday 16th January 2015 - At sea

The day started with what is becoming our normal routine - walk round the deck (beautiful in the warm weather we are experiencing as we travel further south), stretch class, then breakfast (followed by a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice made with my new juicer - divine!).

I then went off to line dancing where the teacher decided to do a revision class and went through 10 of the 13 dances that we have done so far - it took nearly an hour and I was exhausted at the end! (And my legs ache today!) JL meanwhile went to the pool, before going to listen to a man called Paul Cook who is doing a series of talks about drugs!

We met for lunch, then stuffed to the brim headed off to the onboard cinema for the first time to see the day's film - Godzilla! It was great fun, but I'm glad I didn't see it on a bigger screen or in 3D as it made me jump a lot!

We spent the rest of the afternoon doing various bits and bobs online, making the most of the signal as apparently it gets a bit unreliable as you get closer to the equator. 

At 5.00 I went to a legs, bums and tums class. Bearing in mind the average age on this cruise is approx 70, the instructor set us off on a series of fast paced exercises, one being high jumps up into the air with straddled legs and bent knees... At one point he suggested we did a set of burpees to which one elderly passenger said NO! He gave us an alternative (thankfully, as I HATE burpees as they make me faint!) At the end I did some arm exercises with the gym's dubious selection of weights (the instructor said that the clips for the bar weights were ordered in Southampton but hadn't arrived - he hoped they might catch us up later in the cruise but in the meantime he suggested just balancing the weights on the bars and hoping for the best!) I did some experimenting with the unlabelled hand weights and think I have worked out which weight is which now too!

We had another early dinner and it was still light, so we had a super view of the schools of flying fish which the boat has been passing today - they were incredible, they could go so far before going back underwater!  We then went to the evening's piano recital (beautiful as always), and then to the main show - it was a group called The Flyrights who originate from London and were AMAZING! They did a mix of soul, Motown, and swing music, and actually had the audience on their feet singing and dancing by the end (once again, remember the average age onboard to see what an achievement this was!) They had amazing foot moves as well. Apparently they have a Facebook page so I will be looking them up to see if they are ever on in Kent!

Time for bed, which involved setting the clocks back one more hour to -2 hours behind GMT. When I set the time on my phone this involves finding a city in the world which is in that time zone, and this was quite a struggle - I could only find one place in the whole world in this time zone (with the help of an atlas!) 

[JL: we are crossing the equator in a couple of hours and the temperature is rising.  More people are using the pools and the sun decks now.  Deck 14 is the highest deck at the back of the ship; it is also the only deck where "you can sunbathe topless".  I don't think I will be paying deck 14 a visit any time soon... ]

No comments:

Post a Comment