Saturday 7 February 2015

Day 30 - Friday 6th February 2015 - at sea

Day 30 - Friday 6th February 2015 - at sea

We woke up this morning to find that we had finally left Valparaiso! The captain came on the tannoy later to explain that there had been two large ships who had priority over us to leave, and then the port authorities had wanted written confirmation that the ship was fit and prepared for its forthcoming voyage of ten days at sea (yes, ten days!). This letter was written in English and then they decided they wanted it in Spanish, which was duly done. We finally left at some point in the night (by which point JL and I were fast asleep!).

The weather was still quite cool but not too windy and so I decided to do something I've done very little of this cruise - go for a run. I set my iPhone running tracker app going and ran 10 laps which I think equates to 2 miles. I looked at my phone and it told me I had run 6 miles! I then realised that it must take into account the distance the ship has travelled also! 6 miles in 20 minutes - London Marathon here I come! :-)

I did stretch class while JL went walking in the gym. We had breakfast and then I went to line dancing while JL went to see his new speaker - a guy called Ed Derbyshire who was talking about satellites and what they are used for. 

I had decided that because we were going to be at sea for such a long time I should take up some more activities, so today I went to my first 'Knit and Natter' session! [JL: all women, so mostly natter] checked in advance that I would need no knitting skill or equipment and they confirmed that was true! So I have now learnt the very basics of knitting and have started making a teddy bear! So far I have half of one leg! The bears are then going to be donated to the next Macmillan fundraiser that they do onboard. It was actually a little bit freaky seeing a group of people with bear skins in varying degrees of completion hanging off their needles... But maybe that's just me!

We met for lunch and then JL went to his next speaker - a lady called Diane Janes who was speaking about famous mysteries such as the Loch Ness Monster and the Bermuda Triangle. Meanwhile I tried my next new activity - the Party Dance class! It's run by the cheesiest member of the ship's entertainment team, and was done to the cheesiest music ever, but was good fun! Someone described it as like a crazy version of Zumba! It certainly gave a good workout!

I then went and chilled out in the room for a bit to continue my knitting, while JL went to investigate the pool - only to find that it was still too cold and windy for his liking. At 5.00 I went to a mixed stretch/ abs class (because the daily newspaper had accidentally printed that both classes would be on at the same time, so they did a compromise!)

We went to dinner and then to the first of the new set of classical concerts - this time by a duo of pianists who play on the same piano! It was strange at first, and seemed very loud, but we really enjoyed it.

We had planned to go to more shows, but by this point I was exhausted after all my activities so we went back to the room and I watched a film on the TV (The Bounty Hunter with Jennifer Aniston) while JL had an early night. 

 [JL : the good news: in the middle of nowhere but the satellite feed works! :-) now the bad news: Arsenal lost at Spurs ;-( ]

No comments:

Post a Comment