Saturday 21 February 2015

Day 44 - Friday 20th February 2015 - at sea

Day 44 - Friday 20th February 2015 - at sea

We started the day with a nice warm walk round the decks (little were we to know that it was the last sun we would be seeing for a while!). I then went to stretch class while JL carried on walking, then we had breakfast. Line dancing was cancelled this morning as the crew were doing drills, which involved lots of alarms and alert messages going off all over the ship - it was very noisy! It did however give me plenty of time to write the Rarotonga blog! Luckily the Internet was working ok so I had a lovely chat to a lovely friend, at the end of which the heavens opened and we had our first tropical storm, complete with thunder and lightening! I then went to knit and natter to stuff my teddy bear. Now all he needs is a scarf! JL wandered the ship like a lost soul looking for a quiet place to read, but everyone who was usually out in the sun had retreated indoors so he came back looking fed up!

We had a shivery lunch as the temperatures were plummeting suddenly [JL: down to 24 degrees! Shivering alright!] and I then went to party dance class to warm myself up! JL went to a lecture by Dr Lee Konowe talking about spies and code breaking. He then went off again in search of a quiet place to read and found a small one in the Crows Nest. I wrapped up warm, and adjusted the cabin air con, and settled down to read my book while watching the growing waves outside. I didn't have  the energy to go to the gym today so stayed where I was until it was time to get ready for formal night.

We had dinner and then went to see the first of the evening's shows - the new classical act, the Dana Morgan Duo, a lady playing the flute and a man on the piano, playing some Schumann and Debussy. We then went to the theatre to see the evening's singer, Rebecca Nelson, who is described as a Classical Crossover Artiste from New Zealand. She had a beautiful voice and sang a lovely set of songs including Ave Maria and Danny Boy. 

We found out from an announcement at the end of the show that the wind and rain we are experiencing is the tail end of the cyclone which has been hitting Australia recently, so I went to bed with dreams of waking up to find the ship transported to Oz...

No comments:

Post a Comment